« Another Bad Disk | Main | Weekend at the Datacenter »

March 28, 2003

My Mistake Finishing Bad Disk Fix

Even though completing yesterday's disk work seemed simple, I goofed up. I had one disk with all the data on it, and a disk that I had repaired (which had become unformatted during the repair).

Unfortunately when I created the mirror and attached the first submirror disk I attached the unformatted disk. Thus when I attached the second submirror disk it synced up to be identical to the first disk. So I ended up with a mirror of unformatted disks, unusable.

The data on most of our machines is rsynced up from a common machine, so it wasn't the worst case scenario. I removed the mirror and submirrors, newfs'd the drives, recreated the mirror and attached the two submirrored disks. It took a few hours to get all the data transferred back over (this machine happens to be our media server, Real, Zoom etc).

In the end it appears that doing a repair on the disk has, at least temporarily, fixed the issue. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Posted by mike at March 28, 2003 11:33 AM