April 18, 2006
automysqlbackup - Nifty MySQL Backup Script
Working through the MySQL mailing lists and forums tonight for questions/answers/problems related to backing up/restoring a MySQL database. Just one avenue for making sure the UC presentation on backups get at the heart of what people are experiencing with MySQL backups.
Back to the matter at hand. I stumbled into a post recommending a backup tool that I hadn't used before, automysqlbackup. The release notes indicate it's been around since 2002, the most recent release coming in Jan 2006. I know I've seen this before but never looked closely at it.
It's an easily configurable Unix shell script that (among other things):
- is well documented with header and inline comments (along with info on how to restore from backups)
- wraps around mysqldump
- rotates daily, weekly, monthly backups
- backs up one or multiple databases
- mails report with configurable levels of detail (including attaching dump files up to a specified limit) from the backup
- runs user-defined pre and post scripts
This is cool if you're one of those mysqldump folks but need something more to throw in cron to organize and rotate your backups.
Posted by mike at April 18, 2006 11:33 PM