Resume for Michael Kruckenberg
Michael Kruckenberg (weblog)
Ambitious technology-focused individual seeking to promote innovative development and build excitement around use of open source software.
Principal Software Engineer
OpenAir, A NetSuite Company (OpenAir
2006 - 2010
- Build backend libraries and user interfaces for highly complex business tracking, analysis, and reporting tools.
- Serve as lead for modernizing the web interface to be more interactive, but not over the top.
- Work with support team and customers to understand problems in order to develop functionality to meet the customer's needs.
- Response quickly to production issues including software bugs and server issues.
Tufts University Sciences Knowledgebase (TUSK
2005 - 2006
- Lead and manage a team of developers and consultants building a MySQL-backed, web-based knowledge management system.
- Spec project requirements, develop timelines, schedule development resources and provide direction for implementation.
- Act as the liaison with other groups within the University as well as counterparts at schools across the country. Participate in cross-university and multi-school collaboration efforts.
- Raise awareness of TUSK system in the local and broad medical community. Gain respect from technical counterparts.
- Research and advocate open source solutions for software development to help accomplish TUSK mission of open information.
- Spearhead project to share source code of TUSK with American and African medical schools. Maintain relationships with administrative and technical contacts at all partner schools.
- Identify emerging technologies and standards, incorporating new ideas into future development plans.
- Sit on steering committee as technical expert for university-wide project to build and launch the Tufts OpenCourseWare site.
- Represent TUSK interests by participating in Tufts Identity Management group.
- Manage developers, timelines, priorities, resources, and budgets for large number of concurrent projects.
- Hire quality full-time employees and contractors.
- Write technical pieces of grant applications for application development funding.
- Collect and analyze usage statistics for use in grants, presentations, and planning.
Tufts University Sciences Knowledgebase (TUSK
2001 - 2005
- Built web-based tools in Perl (mod_perl and HTML::Mason) for enhancing medical teaching.
- Served as systems administrator, building and configuring Solaris and Linux systems including high-end RAID storage, console servers, etc.
- Scaled server environment from a single server in an office closet to a fully redundant, load balanced server farm in Tufts University data center.
- Served as MySQL DBA. Implemented and maintained MySQL replication for hot spare and backup server.
- Compiled, configured, and packaged (pkgadd for Solaris, RPM for Linux) dozens of open source software libraries and appliations including Apache, MySQL, Perl.
- Integrated TUSK with external data sources including student feeds and centralized authentication (LDAP).
- Researched and developed full-text search tool, finessed document indexing and search algorithm.
- Implemented Shibboleth for cross-institution authentication.
- Developed relationships with technical members of the Tufts community. Participated in university technical groups.
- Built software release policy, increased frequency of software releases from annual to bi-monthly.
1999 - 2001
- Developed software used by small educational institutions.
- Worked with partner companies to plan and build data exchange between systems. Established and maintained relationships with technical personnel at partner companies.
- Created API standards and designed/developed API processor to accept HTTP transfer of data from over 80 schools, parse data, and add to Oracle database.
- Coordinated efforts of 5 branch offices to develop software that exports school data to Jenzabar API.
- Designed and coded stored procedures in PL/SQL.
- Prototyped Java-based HTTP server to receive and process incoming data.
- Developed function and stress testing scripts for API import processes.
- Researched and wrote functional and technical specifications.
- Researched and implemented alternatives to ensure stability and scalability on web front-end and backend processes.
- Worked with development team to plan future features and functions of web service.
- Developed online help system for assistance with Jenzabar functionality.
- Responsible for software releases.
- Built and maintained Linux web server boxes, compiled and installed packages, made technology recommendations for integration with NT and Unix environments.
1998 - 1999
- Coordinated all aspects of training including room and food scheduling, material production, training personnel schedules.
- Developed project timelines for programs, coordinated efforts of team members to complete each stage.
- Created user interface and database structure for internal tool used to keep records of training and work done with individual departments.
- Coordinate and lead team meetings, update staff on progress of projects.
- Develop online area for download of frequently requested HR forms in multiple formats.
- Design promotional and informational pieces, materials, and presentations for programs and events.
1998 - 2004
- Designed, promoted, and managed ecommerce site for small mail-order company.
- Developed internal site for reporting and retrieving sales statistics.
1994 - 1998
- Consulted with owners to develop web site functionality. Designed, programmed and promoted business, online shopping (using PHP and MySQL) and information web pages.
- Developed and designed monthly reports, training manuals, brochures, and direct mailers.
- Analyzed web trends and business reports to provide direction for web site and promotion.
- Wrote press releases and interacted with media personnel to obtain publicity for newsworthy and special events. Identified advertising opportunities and coordinated advertising efforts.
- Assisted with general business activities as needed, including product development, ordering and stocking products, packing and shipping, and summarizing sales and financial information.
- Completed design, layout, digital imaging, and proofing of 48-page, four color mail-order catalog. Prepared files for printer. Set schedule and coordinated printing.
Expert in Perl (OO, mod_perl, HTML::Mason, scripting), PHP, SQL, XML, XSLT, HTML, Apache,
Expert in database administration, tuning, and programming with MySQL.
Advanced knowledge of Unix and Linux systems administration, particularly as it relates
to web-based services. Experienced in use and administration of NFS, DNS, Sendmail,
and make tools for compiling software.
Some experience with Python, Ruby (including Rails), Java, Oracle, and PostgreSQL.
Mastered design tools in a former life as a web designer.
Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and other productivity tools.
MA Integrated Marketing Communication (Technology Focus)
Emerson College, Boston, MA
Degree awarded 2001
BA Public Communication
University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
Degree awarded 1997
Graduated with Honors
Publications and Presentations
Invited member of MySQL Guild, in Writer, Speaker and Technical guilds.
Invited to present on MySQL at PHP Quebec 2006
Featured speaker at the 2006 MySQL Users Conference, presenting on backups
Author of MySQL 5 Stored Procedures, Views, and Triggers, Linux Magazine December 2005
Author of MySQL 5 Stored Functions and Cursors, Linux Magazine February 2006
Sample Chapter from ProMySQL published on MySQL Developer Zone
Author of Pro MySQL (2005, Apress)
Presented Using MySQL for Binary Data at OSCON 2004
Presented Transforming XML for Web and Print at OSCON 2003
Actively write on personal weblog, syndicated to Planet MySQL
Regular attendee at Web 2.0 Expo, MySQL Users Conference, O'Reilly Open Source Conference (OSCON)
Member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society